Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Growing a life of gratitude

Last year around November 1 or 4, I haven't checked exact dates, I began a journey. This journey did not really have an end in sight. Rather, it was with the hopes that the journey itself would be worthwhile. 

A while back we had some changes happen in our life. While I knew I should trust God that He would work all of it out for good in my life, and for His glory, I found myself time and again doubting, feeling sad, hurt, and focused on myself. Then something happened. A pastor and some friends started talking about being thankful. I saw posts on Facebook and heard a great sermon. You can find it here.

What a journey it's been. I decided to post my thanks daily on Facebook. I figured this way if I missed a day someone would ask and that would keep me accountable. But, that first week it was hard. I had to, in the midst of my "me focus" think about things for which I was thankful. I was well aware of the things for which I was NOT thankful, the things I would change, but I really had to think hard each day to get one item up on my page. It was an item to cross off my list of things to do. Yep, in my own little OCD way, it had become a chore, rather than an overflowing of a grateful heart. (More on that later.)

Yet, somewhere along the way something changed. I noted that I didn't labor so hard over being grateful. Not only that, but I had a hard time keeping my lists short at times. God had started to give me a heart of flesh, rather than a heart of stone. Not only this, but other people began to notice. Now, mind you, that's not the focus of what I had been doing, but it did show me that something had happened. I could feel the change, but now I saw that it was a deep enough change that other people noticed as well. I am here to say that, sadly, I still had, and have, my moments of whining, and complaining, and being anything OTHER than grateful. However, more and more I was changing into a joyful grateful person who began to focus on things besides me, me, me. 

Originally the plan had been to do this perhaps for a month, maybe even a year. Yep, one of my "list" things. A measurable plan with a significant beginning and end. I realized as Nov. 1 rolled around this year that rather than end this journey I'd like to celebrate anniversaries of becoming a grateful child of the King. Mind you, I had become a child of the King many many years ago, but I'm not sure that I ever really purposed to work at changing, to ask God to help me to change. I want to live my life giving thanks, praising God, and sharing this truth with others... 




Luke 6:45

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
45 The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

So, I'm looking forward to being the good man who has good treasure in my heart that will bring forth good fruit. 

And what about those life circumstances? Well, we continue to deal with chronic illnesses with family members, with questions and concerns about the future, with government furloughs and the rest. But, that's become background noise against which you will, Lord willing, hear my praises and thanks for recognizing the glory and goodness of God. I invite you to join me in recognizing the God of the universe... omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent... who has not left us behind, but is intimately involved in our lives. 

Shalom, 
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment