Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kim's Stuffed Peppers




So, it's like this. I say.... hmmm, I'm sick, I'm hungry, I've got thawed beef and some peppers. What should I make? I ponder options and immediately discard the idea of stuffed peppers. They sound nasty... mushy peppers, who wants them? Keep pondering and come back to the idea. Dried out peppers, who wants them? Keep pondering. 20 minutes of searching online for a recipe. ANY recipe. OKAY already, I'll make stuffed peppers. 

So, back to the online search, because stuffed peppers? I've NEVER. HAD. THEM! Nope. Not once. Nobody in my family  made them as far as I can recall. But, having never had them I still have opinions. Oh yes, I ALWAYS have opinions. And, none of these recipes is "just right" so I combine, tweak, reconfigure, and yes... I have  recipe. And oh my, IT IS GOOD! Yes? YES!

So, here it is. 

  • 4 peppers... whatever color you want. I like LOTS of colors. WE used red, orange and yellow. (That's what we had.), tops sliced off, seeds and ribs removed
  • 1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
  • 3 green onions, chopped, cooked with beef (Note to self... use 1/2 of a sweet onion next time)
  • 1.5 - 2 c. cooked rice
  • celery salt to taste, maybe 1/2 tsp.
  • 1/2 c. tomato sauce
  • 1/3 c. ketchup (note to self... use all ketchup in future)
  • 1.5 c. shredded jack cheese, divided
  1. bring salted water to a boil
  2. cook peppers for 4 minutes... NOT till mushy, colors will be very pretty
  3. remove from water, turn upside down on a plate and let drain
  4. meanwhile, brown beef, when close to done add diced onion, cook till onion is opaque and meat is no longer pink
  5. cook rice
  6. mix meat, rice, ketchup, celery salt and one c. jack cheese
  7. stuff peppers (at this point you can cover and put in fridge if not cooking right away, or you can wrap and freeze for use in the future)
  8. cook in covered dish at 350 for 30 minutes
  9. take out, add cheese to top, pop in for 5 more minutes
  10. serve. YUM
Somehow this is becoming a foodie blog. Guess that's fine. It's my blog and I can write what I want to. HA! 

Enjoy, and if you have  better ideas, please let me know. 
Shalom, 
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment